What Is Laser Dentistry?
Does the thought of getting dental work make you feel anxious?
That’s the case for many people.
According to one study… This text opens a new tab to the NCBI website…, approximately 36% of the population suffers from dental anxiety, and a further 12% suffers from extreme dental fear.
Some of the most common concerns are:
- The thought of experiencing pain during procedures
- Sites, smells, and sounds of dental visits
- How invasive a procedure will be
But what if we told you there’s a way to avoid all of these fears?
It’s called laser dentistry.
What is laser dentistry?!
Get the answer below and learn:
- How it works
- What it’s used for
- Its benefits
What is laser dental treatment?
Laser dentistry refers to the use of lasers to treat various dental conditions, including:
- Teeth whitening
- Treating gum disease
- Detecting oral cancer
- Identifying tooth decay in its early stages
- Treating tooth sensitivity
- Treating cold sores
- Removing benign tumors
- Setting restorative materials
- Gum contouring
It’s very effective and has been used in dental practices for more than 30 years!
How does laser dentistry work?
Your dentist will use a laser instrument that creates light energy in a narrow, focused beam.
Depending on your treatment, the laser will be used to:
- Gently remove or shape soft tissue in your mouth
- Reshape your tooth before your dentist places a restoration (e.g., a crown or bridge)
LASER stands for “light amplification by the stimulated emission of radiation.”
Is laser dentistry painless?
Laser dentistry is less painful than traditional procedures with scalpels and incisions.
The laser instrument used is very gentle and precise, meaning:
- Less bleeding
- Quicker healing
- Preserving more healthy tooth structure or gum tissue
- Increased comfort
A laser eliminates the noise and vibration you’d experience with a dental drill.
Is laser dentistry safe?
Yes, it’s an extremely safe treatment method.
The Food and Drug Administration… This text opens a new tab to the FDA website… approved laser treatment as an option for multiple dental conditions.
Also, all dentists are required to have special training before they can provide laser dentistry in their practices.
What are the benefits of laser dentistry?
Laser treatment will help you in numerous ways!
- No scalpels, cuts, or stitches are needed
- It allows for less damage to surrounding soft tissues than conventional methods
- It helps wounds to heal faster because the laser activates tissue regeneration
- The laser sterilizes the treated area, which lowers the risk of bacterial infections
- Using a laser instrument also eliminates the need for numbing injections (anesthesia) with some procedures
Is laser dentistry covered by insurance?
Yes! Most dental insurance policies cover dental treatments regardless of how they’re done. Laser dentistry is simply a tool used to complete these treatments in a more gentle, efficient manner.
To confirm, check with your insurance provider.
Have more questions about laser dentistry?
Ask our team at Keystone Dentistry!
Dr. Wayne Kinney is pleased to offer laser dentistry at our Indianapolis dental office. He uses the WIDIOM acronym “Would I Do It On Me?” to ensure you and your family get the best possible care.
- Call us at (317) 575-1120
- Email us directly at email@example.com
Keystone Dentistry is located in Indianapolis, IN,… This text opens a new tab to our Google listing … and proudly serves surrounding communities, including Carmel.