Meet Dr. Gilbertson
Zac Gilbertson, DMD
Dentist in Indianapolis, IN
Zac Gilbertson, DMD is one of the best dentists in Indianapolis and he’d like to personally thank you for visiting our website to find out more about the different types of quality dentistry we do at Keystone Dentistry. If you’re new to this site, you might want to read more about our office, view a list of our services, or look up our location. I would like to personally invite you to allow us to show you the care and comfort you deserve.
How I Got Started in Dentistry
After graduating from high school in Independence, Missouri, I enlisted in the U.S. Air Force and served just over four years as a supply airman for the F-15 fighter aircraft. During that time, I completed the bulk of my undergraduate requirements at Boise State University. After receiving my Doctorate of Medicinal Dentistry (DMD) at Oregon Health & Science University, in Portland, Oregon, I moved to Phoenix, Arizona. There, I practiced general dentistry for ten years until relocating to Indianapolis in early 2015 to be closer to family. My wife, Trisha, grew up on the south side of Indianapolis and is a graduate of Southport High School and Hanover College. We have been married since 2008 and have a toddler son.
How I Got Started Doing the Dentistry That I Love
I have spent the last decade of my career enthusiastically dedicated to painless dentistry. By honing my skill set and equipping the office, my team and I tirelessly strive to provide our patients with the most comfortable and stress-free dental appointments they have ever experienced. The reason I am so passionate about delivering this quality of care is because of childhood dental experiences that left a negative impact on me. It wasn’t until I met a dentist who took his time to make my comfort a priority that my confidence in the dental visit was restored. Those experiences, along with my interactions as a patient with medical and dental doctors, largely shape my commitment to perfecting this part of my craft.
There came a point in my career when careful consideration was given to increase the level of care to my patients through advanced continuing education. At this same time, my experiences in church ministries and community support groups had a personally profound impact. Organizations like Mending The Soul for victims of abuse, Angel Tree Ministries for children of incarcerated parents, and Court Appointed Special Advocates for foster children in Arizona exposed me to the many common needs of folks in my community. This in turn was the catalyst to apply and accept a position in a master’s degree program in Marriage and Family Therapy. However, after much soul searching, it became clear to me that my professional calling was to practice compassionate dentistry. Therefore, I put considerable financial investment and personal energy into pursuing continuing education of the highest quality to obtain a mastership in dentistry. The decision to accomplish this ignited a passion for my profession unknown to me before, and it fuels my commitment to the pursuit of excellence. The experiences in my community continue to have an impact on me, and help shape my relationships with my patients.
What I love the most about dentistry is that I can take the time to educate and inform those in my care about all of their choices. It is in the process of listening and coming up with a plan together that I feel my patients and I are connecting. Our time together is relational, rather than transactional, and this brings me great joy. I am pleased and reassured when patients leave our office, confident in what I have to offer and less apprehensive about their dental care. While care and reassurance certainly help to create a comfortable dental visit, I also recognize that some patients have fears or particular needs that require more than emotional support. That is why I have, as Dr. Reese, incorporated nitrous oxide (laughing gas), oral sedation and intravenous sedation protocols into my practice.
Outside of the office I enjoy spending time with family and friends. I am an active fan of many sports, and particularly love being outdoors in the elements. You can find me on a court, field or course playing that sport or rooting for a local team.
I want to thank you again for taking the time to learn about me. I look forward to meeting you and helping you along your journey in life with a beautiful smile and excellent oral health.
Professional Practice Timeline
2009-2015: Gilbertson Family & Esthetic Dentistry LLC in Scottsdale, Arizona where I delivered general dentistry in all areas, including smile designs, implant restoration, molar endodontics, oral surgery, pediatric dentistry and Invisalign.
2012-2015: Associate Dentist at Grand Dental Care in Sun City, Arizona where I provided comprehensive care in all aspects of dentistry including crowns and bridges, implant placement, and CEREC restorations.
2007-2012: Reachout Healthcare America, Onsite Health in Phoenix, Arizona where I was a member of the Dental Readiness Task Force (DRTF) that supported the Army National Guard throughout the United States.
2006-2009: Associate Dentist at Arrowhead Family Dentistry in Peoria, Arizona where I provided comprehensive care in all aspects of dentistry, including implant restoration, molar endodontics, cosmetic and pediatric dentistry.
2005-2006: Associate Dentist at Reel Dental in Goodyear, Arizona.
2004-2005: Associate Dentist at Gentle Dental, Clackamas, Oregon.
Professional Memberships & Activities
- DDSmentoring.com Spring 2014 to Present
- Spear Faculty Club Spring 2014 to Present
- Spear Study Club Fall 2014 to Present
- American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry Spring 2014 to Present
- Spear Education Continuum Spring 2013 to Present
- American Dental Association Fall 2006 to Present
- Indiana Dental Association Winter 2015 to Present
- Arizona Dental Association Fall 2006 to Winter 2015
- Alternate Delegate to the Arizona Dental Association House of Delegates Fall 2006 to Winter 2015
- Treating the Worn Dentition, Spear, Frank Apr 2015, Chicago, IL
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support, American Heart Association Mar 2015, Dayton, OH
- Sedation and Anesthesia in Dental Practice, Becker, Daniel (as part of IV sedation training) Mar 2015, Dayton, OH
- Oral and Nitrous Oxide Sedation, Becker, Daniel (as part of IV sedation training) Dec 2014, Dayton, OH
- Restorative Design, Winter, Robert; DeWood, Gary Nov 2014, Scottsdale, AZ
- Spear Faculty Club Summit, Spear, Frank; Kinzer, Gregg Sept 2014, Scottsdale, AZ
- Implant Mentoring II, Engel, Todd July 2014, Charlotte, NC
- Implant Mentoring I, Engel, Todd June 2014, Scottsdale, AZ
- Implant Dentistry 101, Engel, Todd; Julian, Jon; O’Brien, Gary May 2014, Las Vegas, NV
- Occlusion in Clinical Practice, DeWood, Gary Mar 2014, Scottsdale, AZ
- Facially Generated Treatment Planning, Spear, Frank Feb 2014, Scottsdale, AZ
- Comprehensive Pediatric Dentistry For GPs, Margolis, Fred Feb 2014, Phoenix, AZ
- The Art of Endodontics Hands-on Laboratory Course, Buchanan, Stephen July 2013, Santa Barbara, CA
- Oregon Health & Science University, School of Dentistry, Portland, OR, Class of 2004
- Weber State University, Ogden, UT Aug 1998 to Aug 1999
- Boise State University, Boise, ID Jan 1996 to May 1998